Sunninghill is a hidden gem located in Dorchester, with extensive grounds, perfect for photo opportunities. Sunninghill is an unusual and quirky wedding venue (independent prep school) located in easy walking distance of Dorchester town centre and its many public transport links and types of accommodation.
We chatted to Jacky Walker about some of things going on at Sunninghill and the great work they are doing to set a good example.
Reacting to a growing concern by wedding couples for an environmentally friendly and sustainable wedding, the Event Management Team at Sunninghill Weddings venue in Dorchester have recently adopted a mindful approach to its venue dressing by:
- Embracing the ‘Flowers From The Farm’ approach to its floral wedding decoration by using locally grown, pesticide free, seasonal British flowers
- Incorporated a multi-use vision for the venue’s wedding flowers: a chair corsage becomes a fresh flower posy table centre which is taken from the vase at the end of the wedding party and given to key guests to take home
- Said NO to the use of non-biodegradable floral foam by finding new to display their floral arrangements
- Added dried flowers into the mix (one of this season’s hottest floral trends) to extend the growing season and add texture and interest
- Adopted a ‘living greenery’ approach to the wedding ceremony décor using a mix of real, living and growing potted trees, shrubs and plants
The south facing wedding rooms at Sunninghill are all light, bright airy spaces with access to the outdoor terrace and main lawn.
This wedding season the venue has introduced a Ceremony-Only hire option, however most couples hiring Sunninghill do so for the whole day with an equal divide between couples choosing to marry at the venue and those using the house for their wedding reception following their church ceremony.
Guests have access to ample onsite parking facilities and cars may be left at the venue overnight.
The venue offers great onsite facilities for children including a dedicated under 7’s play area and a low rope course to entertain older children. A large lawn area and a dedicated all weather pitch for football and tennis are also available to wedding guests.
Sunninghill are holding a venue open house on Easter Monday 22nd April; this is an informal opportunity for couples looking for a wedding venue to have an informal tour and no appointment is necessary, just drop by between 11am and 3pm
South Coast Weddings are an award-winning Bournemouth based wedding planning team, offering full planning services, through to on the day coordination.